Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Run Downtown

About the same time last year, I mapped out a run from my apartment to downtown Akron. Ok, well it wasn't hard to map out - the directions are take South Main St North into Akron. I planned on going for a run after work today, but after logging onto Facebook and seeing it was National Running Day, I decided to do something extra.

The run into Akron is about 10 miles. The temperature was about the same as last year: 80. The buildings, concrete and asphalt intensify the heat and any bit of shade is welcomed. I brought my handheld water bottle, but that was definitely not enough. I thought of walking into the FirstEnergy building and filling it back up with water, but seeing I had no shirt on and a bandanna I passed :)

Somewhere on the way back, I got a second wind. My lips were really dry, but I felt in a rhythm running. On the last turn into my apartment complex, this outdoorsy-looking couple in a Jeep Wrangler with the top down smiled at me. I wasn't sure if they thought I was crazy or what, but I gave them a thumbs up and a goofy smile. They smiled even bigger.

I'd be lying if I said I don't like being out there on a hot day like today busting it while others are in an air-conditioned car or that I don't like getting funny looks. I definitely prefer the trails over the road most any day, but every once in awhile I like to take a stroll through the city.

No comments: