Monday, December 17, 2012

Live Like There's No Tomorrow

With many running friends on Facebook, I'm always seeing quotes and motivational statuses being posted.  Quotes about living like there's no tomorrow and things to that nature.  I'm guilty of it myself.  There's nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned quote to get you fired up, but many times I find myself reading or posting a quote to feel good but not really taking its meaning to heart.  It's easy to dream and to come up with goals, but another to actually follow a plan and reach your goal.  It's hard to truly love what you do day in and day out.  I'm sure many of my running friends if given the chance would love to quit their day jobs and travel the country running a new trail every day.  However, I think it's the challenges in life and less desirable moments that make the time on the trail and time with family and friends more meaningful.  If you can find meaning and joy out of the daily interactions with others in every way, the happier you'll be.  Often times it's all a matter of perspective.  If you have a bad outlook on people in general, you'll only see faults and not the good in them.  More times than not, a friendly smile or hello can lead to a conversation you wouldn't expect.  It's easier to contact people you care about in the technology-driven world we live in now.  Faster and easier doesn't always mean better though.  Take the time to talk to a stranger or call that old friend you haven't talked to in years.  Living like there's no tomorrow, to me, doesn't mean skydiving or buying a Ferrari, but instead means taking time each day to focus on the things that really matter.

No comments: