Saturday, December 13, 2008

2008 URINEO FA 50K

Me, Jim Harris, Joe Novicky, Frank Dwyer and Mike Dobies (from left to right)

The annual URINEO FA at Mill Creek was upon us again and I had verbally committed to it. However, I have only been running 15 to 20 miles tops a week so I knew it would be tough. The official name of the event says it's a 50-mile FA, but you can run how ever many 8-mile loops you want to. Even with the low mileage training, I wanted to at least attempt to do my first 50 miler.

So, I decided to wake up early and start with the 5:00 group to give myself ample time if I decided to go the distance. There were 5 other early birds at the Lily Pond including Jim Harris, Mike Dobies, Joe Novicky, Frank Dwyer and Bob Combs who arrived a little late and caught up to us. The temperature starting out was freezing around 15 degrees, but other than that the weather and trail conditions were great. Other runners were starting at 6 and 7 also.

The full moon provided alot of light but headlamps were still very useful in tree covered areas. We did the first loop purposely slower in 2:00 hours. About a couple miles into the first loop I see Bob running up from behind and find out he had a pretty vicious fall back a little bit tripping over a rock and landing on his chest. He had a wicked gash in his hand to prove it.

I felt good after the first loop and sped up on the second. We finished this one in 1:40. I had a good time running with people I usually don't see too often and met a couple of new people. I ran with Frank for most of the run and he kept my pace in check!

Frank Dwyer

I can't really remember the 3rd loop much, just that it seemed to take forever to finish! We got back to the cars in 2 hours. For a majority of this loop, I ran with Bob, Kim, Frank, and Rich Vrboncic. I knew at the end of this loop that I only wanted to do a 50K today. The lack of training mileage and lack of motivation contributed to this decision. I think Frank was a little disappointed as he tried to convince me to go a couple more loops.

Going down a Monkey Hill

Before I started the 4th loop, I took a much needed bathroom and fuel break and then headed on my way. Since this would be my last loop, I wanted to see how fast I could do it in.

At around Pioneer Pavilion, I met up with Frank and Pat Dillon. Pat was also on his last loop so he decided to join me. I knew any pace I went would be alright with him since he seemed to be feeling good. I also see him at many local 5Ks and know he puts down some great times.

Wild turkey (or something) we saw on our last loop

I didn't feel too bad pushing it this last loop. I had to stop a few times to stretch, though, when I started to feel my calf pull. That's the last thing I wanted was finish the last loop on a pulled calf!

We finished at 12:35 PM, running the last loop in 1:35 and a total time of 7:35 for 50K which is a new PR for me. So far I have run 4 50K's including 2 URINEOs, 1 Art Moore's FA, and 1 Covered Bridge FA. Congrats to Slim Jim for being the only one completing the entire 50 miles. What a beast. Also, congrats to Pat Dillon for finishing his first ultra.

I had a great day running with so many different people. It was a great turnout of 18 people!! Afterwards, Mike, Brian, Bob, Jim and I hung around to rehydrate and talk. Then once Kim completed her 50K, five of us went out to Jib Jab to chow down on some dogs. A nice finish to a great day!

No comments: