Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wingfoot Lake State Park


Since the weather was so nice today, I needed to go for a run.  My plan was to go to Quail Hallow State Park in Hartville and run either the trails or the country roads.  However on my way there, I saw a sign for Wingfoot Lake State Park in Suffield just a mile down the road.  I had already been to Quail Hallow before, it was still 10 minutes away and it was already a little past 6, so I decided to try this park.

I ran down the main road and got on the walking path.  It was a nice looking park.  As I got closer to the lake, I noticed a huge building that looked a lot like the Goodyear Airdock by the Akron Fulton Airport.  (If you've never heard of this structure, read up - it's pretty interesting).  Anyway, the first thing I thought of was that this was the hangar for the Goodyear blimp.  Totally cool!  On my way to the park, I saw the blimp in the air and a lot lower than you usually see it, so I figured that was indeed the hangar.

The building was across the lake, but I made my way down a few country roads, got to a sign that said "Home of the Goodyear Blimp Hangar" and turned down that road.  About a mile down, the road went right past the hangar.  I would've loved to wait there and see it land, but decided to do that another day, especially since I could see the blimp in the far distance, probably over Akron.

After gawking at the enormity of the structure, I retraced my steps back to my car and got in about 6 miles. 

Overhead view of the Goodyear Blimp hangar

No comments: