Thursday, January 05, 2012

Is this winter?

Tonight I went for a 10-mile run from Boston Store to Snowville Rd and back.  The trails were in awful shape and it was a blast!  The combination of snow and warm weather recently melting it left the trails extremely muddy.  I wore shorts and felt warm the entire run.  Only my feet got numb from constantly being submerged in water, but even that didn't last too long.  The sky was clear and the moon was almost bright enough to turn off the headlamp.  I had a good time out there.  It was one of those runs where you forget you are running.  The constant attention required on each step made it interesting.  When I got to the stream crossing about a quarter of the way into the run, I found the water was too high and thin ice hung from the banks making it almost impossible to cross without getting my feet wet.  I didn't want to turn around so I found a fallen tree further upstream that stretched across the stream.  I sat on it and slowly inched my way across.  I finished the run in about 2 hours and was pleased with the effort despite the rough conditions.

No comments: