Thursday, November 24, 2011

2011 Warren Turkey Trot

Brian, Jamie and I continued the tradition today of running the Warren Turkey Trot at the Kent Trumbull branch.  I always look forward to this race and was glad that I was healthy to run it this year.  I thought about taking it easy and enjoying it this year, but that idea faded quickly as I know how hard it is not to race it!

We got there around 9 AM and the 2 miler was going on.  The 5 mile race was set for a 10 o'clock start, so we got in a warmup after saying hi to many familiar faces.  It didn't take long to spot Shubi, who was in from Colorado and fresh off a 10,000 ft run out there the same day as Slim Pickins.

The weather was perfect and the crowd was large as usual.  Ted Rupe gave a pre-race prayer and then sounded the siren to start the race.  I felt pretty relaxed despite the tough 50K last weekend.  There was a slight wind on the way out and way back, but nothing too strong.  I finished with a 33:45.  Jamie won her age group and Brian had a good race also.


Afterward, we followed tradition and had dinner at my parents house.  My mom cooked a great meal with turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn bread, biscuits, cranberry jello, apple sauce in the crock pot, salad and pumpkin pie. 

I have so much to be thankful for and this day is always a great remember of those things!

No comments: