Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ohio

I've lived in Ohio my whole life and am used to the snow and bad drivers. I expect winter to last until April every year, despite what the groundhog says, so that every year I'm happy if it ends earlier. I realize that there is not barbed wire around the state and that I can leave at anytime. I enjoy the four seasons even if winter does seem to last longer. I've learned to like the cold winter mornings and crisp fresh air especially when doing a 20 miler.

The grass is always greener on the other side, unless you learn to open your eyes and look around. I've always thought it would be cool to live somewhere else, but then realized a place just becomes another place the longer you've been there. For example, I'm from Warren and have never been to the National Packard Musuem. I've been to Cleveland many times, but have never been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I live in Akron and have never been to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We have a Great Lake and a beautiful National Park right in our backyard. We are one of the few places where lake effect snow occurs...lucky us right? Well at least we don't live on a fault line and fear earthquakes or live in Florida and fear hurricanes.

It's easy to take for granted the treasures you have right at home. Take a moment each day and remind yourself of this.

2 comments:

Barefoot Johnny O said...

Here Here!!

Jamie said...

Well said! It's what you make of life that truly counts!