Friday, June 18, 2010

18 Miles

Today was a beautiful day so I decided to take a half day at work. I went over to my brother's pool to relax for the afternoon. After that around 3:30, I went for a run starting at Pine Lane. The plan was to go to Snowville Rd and back for 18 miles. Once I got to Boston Store, I ran with a couple guys my age from Medina and southern Texas. We ran to Blue Hen Falls then split from there.

At every stream crossing, I poured water over my head and soaked my bandanna. The heat was starting to wear on me, especially since I was stupid and didn't bring any water or fuel along.

It wasn't until I got back to Boston Store when I really started feeling pooped. My legs felt pretty tired and I could tell I was low on hydration and salt. I ran for a bit, but after tripping on a root and falling hard, I decided to walk the rest back.

I finally made it back to my car and was thrilled to be done. The first 14 miles were good training physically and the last 4 were good mentally. I would've rather not crashed, but it should help me later for Oil Creek if things get tough. Good lesson learned - Always bring fuel for a long trail run.

No comments: