Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson & John Mellencamp Concert

A couple months ago, I heard that Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp were all going to be playing together in concert at the Lake County Captains baseball stadium in Eastlake, OH. I knew I HAD to go!! I don't particularly listen to Willie much, but I love Mellencamp's music and Dylan is a legend who is getting up there in age and I wasn't sure if I would have another chance to see him in concert again. Another reason was my dad had a chance (but missed it) to see Dylan at Conneaut Lake Park back in the late 70s when he was at the bottom of his career for only $5!

So, I bought one for me and one for my dad for Father's Day. It was really tough holding in the secret, but I told him he would have to wait a month for his present. When this Saturday finally came around, my dad and I drove to the concert with him still not knowing where we were going.

When we got to the stadium, traffic was a little backed up. We parked and he was now really curious. I told him to open up the glove box and get the envelope inside. He looked at the tickets and saw "The Bob Dylan Show."

We sat along the third base line close to the field with the stage set up in the outfield. First up was a folk band from New York. They sang some funny songs accompanied by the banjo.

Next, a huge Texas flag dropped down and Willie Nelson came walking out. I actually enjoyed his music and will have to download some of it. A lady behind us let us use her binoculars to get a closer look. Willie's son played with him on guitar and also sounded great.

Willie played for an hour and then John Mellencamp came out. His concert was probably my favorite. He played some of his hits and some new ones which were good. He had the place rockin' for the full hour he played.

And finally for the grand finale was Bob Dylan himself. I convinced my dad to go down close to the field with standing room only. We ended up getting about 30 feet from the stage. Dylan came walking out with a black suit, tie and a white brimmed dress hat. Looking pretty snazzy! His band members also came out wearing suits and looking like the Blues Brothers.

Dylan's voice is now raspy and has definitely taken a toll from all the singing and smoking. I didn't mind though! It was cool just to see him sing. He played a little harmonica and keyboard along with the singing. Willie Nelson's son also came out to accompany on guitar for half of Dylan's concert.

Below are some videos I took.

Willie Nelson

"Beer For My Horses"


Willie Nelson's Son


"On The Road Again"


John Mellencamp

"Authority Song"

"Ain't That America"


"Small Town"



Bob Dylan

"Working Man Blues"


"How Does It Feel"



"All Along The Watch Tower"

No comments: