Sunday, July 05, 2009

4th of July

Yesterday for the 4th of July, I watched the fireworks display in Warren with my parents from behind the old St. Joe's Hospital. We found a great spot on a grass hill where the bushes seemed to be cut down perfectly to see the display across the Mahoning River at Packard Park. The show lasted about 30 minutes and had a great grand finale!

Today, I drove up to my brother's apartment and hung out at the pool. Before we went to the pool, we watched the end of the Wimbledon men's final match with Roger Federer and Andy Roddick. The match was a classic with the longest fifth set in history with Federer winning 16-14, giving him the most career Grand slam wins in history at 15.

We finally got to the pool and relaxed for an hour. We then met our parents over at the Winking Lizard in Peninsula for some food. Alex Bevan was playing inside, but we decided to enjoy the beautiful weather.

Afterwards, all of us took a walk by the ledges to the Ice Box. We found an area we've never explored before. It was a skinny hallway with tall rock walls on each side located a little past the Ice Box. My mom pointed out these rock wall carvings below which we thought were really cool!

Later that night, Brian and I went over to Sunny Lake in Aurora to watch their July 5th fireworks display. We couldn't believe how many people were there. The location was great for watching fireworks! They had music and some lights to go along with the show. The display was decent but nothing too spectacular.

Right after the grand finale, we rushed to our cars to try and beat the crowd. Everyone else was trying to do the same, including this guy on a chopper-style motorcycle. When we were on the road, he was flying past everyone on the left-side. Just 50 yards down, he must have lost control and gone off-road in a ditch. A bunch of people ran over to try and help him out. They got him out a little bit, but he must have went back into the ditch because when we got closer he was pointed towards the road angled upwards in the ditch again. He was revving his engine trying to get out while some guy standing next to him was yelling at him saying, "You obviously don't know how to operate this thing buddy!" This gave Brian and I both a good laugh. It was just a good thing that no one got injured or he didn't plow into someone's car!

No comments: