Saturday, June 14, 2008

2008 Vision for Veterans 5k


I hadn't really planned on running the Vision for Veterans 5k, but figured I might as well since I was home anyways for Father's Day and my sister Jamie was running it. I thought it was pretty cool that it was a night race (starting at 8:00). Josh Boggs and his girlfriend were the race directors. They donated all the money from the race to the Fisher House at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.

When we got to Firestone Park, I remembered running there in high school. It's a really nice park with a small stadium and track, swimming pool, tennis courts and alot of area to run. We saw Matt Folk at the registration table and talked for a bit. My hopes for winning the race were crushed!

I felt pretty good the first mile of the race even though there was a decent size hill halfway through. I went through the first mile in about 6 minutes.

The rest of the race was pretty flat. I ran with this guy for a mile and a half, but then pushed ahead around mile 2. The finish was cool because it finished on the track in the stadium. I came through the line in 19:24 finishing 8th overall and 1st in my age group. Jamie came in close behind around 20 minutes and was the 2nd female overall.

At the awards ceremony they raffled off some prizes. I got a $20 Dick's gift certificate. I also really liked the age group awards which were dog tags with a cross country shoe on one side. Other than a little confusion with the results, it was a great race and course and I hope to do it again next year.


No comments: